Friday, October 10, 2008

Our Little Artist

Spencer receiving his first place medalAll the winners holding their posters(Spencer's all the way to the left)
Spencer showing me his new medal
A couple weeks ago Spencer's school held a poster contest for the students. Entering a poster was optional. Spencer decided he wanted to do it. Each child who entered chose to draw a picture about either being "safe, respectful or responsible". Spencer chose to go with "respectful". He had a lot of fun and made his picture very colorful. He drew his teacher and some of the students in his class being respectful while walking quietly in line. His school held an assembly to announce the winners. Spencer was actually home from school that day with strep throat. His teacher called me at home and told me he was one of the winners and that if Spencer was feeling up to it, she thought he might like to be there. Of course I wanted to take him and watch too. He was feeling fine that afternoon and had been on antibiotics for almost 24 hours, so we went. Each grade had a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner. Spencer was so excited when they announced his poster had won FIRST PLACE out of all 3 first grade classes! He was very happy and wore his medal ALL DAY! Afterwards he told me "I'm so excited I got the GOLD MEDAL! I can't believe I won"!! That night was "Back to School Night" and we got to see his picture hanging in the hallway. Great job Spencer!!

4 comments:

Colleen Stutz said...

Way to go Spencer! You must be a great artist to have won a gold medal. When I was 11 I also won a poster contest but I didn't get a medal just a book about a horse. Tell your mom we want to see a close up of the poster. We are proud of you!

Kristina said...

how cute is he? he looks so proud of himself...as well he should be!

Marcee said...

That is fantastic Spencer! I liked your poster. And how cool that it was in the hallway at school that night. My kids didn't even enter... strange I know.

Shawny said...

what an artist!! congrats Spencer, we'd love to see the poster, how cool to get a metal too!