Monday, October 6, 2008

Deedee


I'm a couple days late on this post but I still wanted to do it. Five years ago (on Oct. 3rd) my sweet grandma passed away from a very unexpected heart attack. She was only 68 years old and the most wonderful woman I know(along with my mother). She touched so many lives in the most amazing way and if you ever met her there was not one negative thing to be said about her. We called her Deedee. Five years have passed, and I still get extremely choked up everytime I think of or talk about her and especially see a picture of her. I will always be grateful to her for being the example that she was. Her family was her life. She started so many awesome traditions in our family from the time she was married to my grandpa (she was 16 years old then). We still carry out those many traditions big or small and have since started new ones. We miss her so much and it breaks my heart that my children won't be able to have the experiences with her that I was so fortunate to have. I talk about her with both of my children (Spencer was 2 when she died and remembers her pretty well) quite often.
Deedee loved little children. This was one of her specialties in life. She wrote this poem for all her married grandchildren one year. When ever I'm having an off day with my kids I try to pull out this poem and read it.
TO MY GRANDCHILDREN
One day your house will be without
A little girls giggle or a young boys shout
There'll be no scuff marks on the floor
Small finger prints you'll see no more
You'll realize then each day was short
And be sorry for those times you were out of sorts
The best things in this life will be
Those happy times in your memory
So enjoy each day of your childrens life
And be prepared for those times of strife
Treasure the things they do and say
Praying always that they won't stray
Remember THESE are the days you will long for
To hear little children at your door....
I wish you much happiness in your loving endeavor to be parents
Deedee Dec. 2000
I hope this poem touches all of you as much as it does me. Being a mother is the greatest calling I have in life and I'm so lucky to have such wonderful children. They are my greatest blessings. Thank you Deedee for being the example you still are to me. We miss you!!!

5 comments:

Marcee said...

Thank you for making this post. I have thought about it, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Putting the poem in was perfect, especially with what Pres. Monson said yesterday about little children and families. I have my poem too and love reading it. I remember the day she gave it to us. It is very special. SHE is very special. What a wonderful legacy she has left. I am glad that we still have a large piece of her in Baaba... The two are without a doubt... ONE!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya sista....I deaply miss this lovly lady and only wish I could EVER get as much accomplished as she did in a day!

The Lyons Family said...

I remember you grandma, how sad, what a sweet lady.
I didn't remember that we got married that close either. I think we are going on a cruise to celebrate this year, you guys should celebrate with us!!

Kristina said...

a very sweet and touching posting. I'm sure it would make her very happy.

Colleen Stutz said...

She was a very sweet person. I am glad that I got to meet her. I know she is so proud of you and your little family. Her influence will be felt for years in your life. The poem she wrote is pretty special.